Monday, May 11, 2009

Things I wish people would say to me when they discover I am converting. Sometimes people do say these things to me, and sometimes they say even nicer things to me. This list goes with the rude comments list, and I have debated expanding it, but I have since decided that 18 being the number of life I'd either need to add another 18 or I'd risk ruining the karma of it. So at this point I am going to leave it alone. By far my favorite is when I am told someone thought I was Jewish already, it makes my entire day...or when I get told I sound like a true Jew. My friend apparently has another suggestion as to a rabbi I can work with so we'll see what happens.

1. You'll be a wonderful asset to our community, I thought you were Jewish already.
2. Isn't it nice that you have the freedom to choose who you want to be?
3. How nice that you find Judaism so comforting and our beliefs so compatible with your spiritual path.
4. Do you have any questions that I can answer for you?
5. It would be my pleasure to help you in your transition in any way I can.
6. Welcome to the neighborhood it's nice you feel included here, let us know if there's anything we can do.
7. You'll have to come over sometime, you know it is forbidden to insult/embarrass a convert, and commanded to love them.
8. Everyone knows converts don't have family, we'd be honored to have you as part of ours for now.
9. I'm glad to see that you have had such a positive experience with the Chassidic community and other communities.
10. You should read some about (these issues and people) I think you'd really enjoy it.
11. Your great-grandmother must be so proud that you decided to return to Judaism (ok she's also long since dead, but still this would be so nice).
12. What can I do to help you build your Jewish family and community?
13. I know some really great kosher stores/restaurants.
14. There's (insert an event here) you might be interested in, it is commemorating this (observance explanation) and there will be lots of people there for you to meet.
15. It's wonderful that you feel Orthodoxy is where your heart is.
16. My name is....it's very nice to meet you.
17. Thank you for answering my rude and annoying questions. I don't mean to be intrusive I am just curious.
18. Would you mind discussing your story with me?

I am stopping at 18 because 18 is the number of life, but I could go on and on.

No comments: