Saturday, May 9, 2009

1. Are you going to convert your children with you? (they don't even live with me so how is this an issue)

This is one of those questions that isn't rude on the face, but is rude depending on the context. The reality is you can't force someone else to convert, even a child. If my children do end up living with me at some point I will expect them to respect my new way of life and to be exposed to it, but whether to convert or not I will expect them to make their own decisions about that when they are old enough to understand it.

2. You do know there are beliefs associated with Judaism?

Again, this is another question that isn't rude on its face, but is rude depending on the context. This is a question that annoys me, because it seems to me that it is obvious that there are beliefs associated with Judaism. After all Judaism is a religion, and supposedly the ancestor to my former religion of Christianity. Thus it would make sense that there are beliefs associated with Judaism.

3. Can I eat in your house still?

This is a question I get asked by non-Jews quite often and it has a sister question that comes later in the list. I think that it is a rude question because it implies that I would suddenly only socialize with Jewish people. Whereas my preference is to socialize with Jews, I am not going to leave my non-Jewish friends out in the cold so to speak. I fully expect them to come to my house and eat for example.

4. Will you still be able to go the movies?

I am becoming Jewish not Amish. This whole idea that I would stop going to movies is a bit ridiculous. Jewish people not only star in movies, but they do attend movies as well. I am not giving up modern life, I am just changing the life I am leading.


Stay tuned for other commentaries on the rude comments that have been made to me and my wish list so to speak. It is highly likely that in my book there will be more detailed comments about these things, as I am using this time to get my grounding so to speak.


No comments: