Sunday, May 10, 2009

5. How can you stand being with people that think women are inferior?

This is rude on so many levels I can't even begin to make an accurate commentary. First of all it is rude because it assumes that ALL Orthodox Jews believe women are inferior. Whereas I am willing to agree that SOME do believe that women are inferior, certainly not all do. In fact, SOME non-Jewish people also believe women to be inferior.

Second it is rude because it is clearly an indication that someone lacks an understanding of Orthodox tradition and wants to project their own opinion onto the situation. I am a big proponent of learning about a cultural tradition and then examining it within context. This doesn't apply to things that are really dangerous to people. However, things like why women and men pray separately are rather innocuous issues that can be examined from within right? At least take the time to find out what the background is instead of making a generalized statement about the background etc.

Thirdly it is rude because it assumes that I don't know what I am doing. Frankly I believe men and women are equal but different. I am not a man, some things men do better than me, some things I do better than men. They're just different. I don't want to be a man and I don't think a man wants to be me either.

Additionally, I just find it rude to throw things out there like women being inferior, what are they supposed to be superior? Does pure equality actually exist? Even in Judaism there isn't real equality in fact women are spiritually HIGHER than men in Judaism.....but right women are inferior...strange idea this is.

6. How do you deal with not being a descendant of Abraham yet when you say OUR prayers?

This is also SO rude I can't begin to comment about it. I find it interesting that Jews, Christians, and Muslims all claim their ancestor is Abraham, but somehow I am not a descendant and not allowed to claim to be, and not allowed to share in the prayers, and not allowed to....again strange idea obviously born out of ignorance, too bad it was a rabbi that first said it to me.

7. Are you comfortable with the OUR G-D language, how do you deal with it being OUR G-D?

Same rabbi, can someone tell me when Jews, Christians, and Muslims decided to worship different gods? I was raised that there is one true God, and it was the same God mentioned in the OT. Strange idea that this man has isn't it, that it would be a different God....hence I am using the word with all the letters in it for this commentary.

8. What makes you so sure this is a good decision for you?

This is rude because it implies that my judgment is so poor I am unable to make good decisions for me, but also because it implies that it is a decision. Alas my better half put it the other day "You were always a Jew...." this is a true and accurate statement and it captures the issue as it is. This isn't a decision, I even object to the whole Jewish by Choice phrase. It's not a choice. It is what my soul requires of me.

No comments: