Saturday, October 20, 2007

Rational Politics

I tried to post on this topic the other day, but apparently it didn't take. I don't remember exactly what my point was in the original post, so please allow me to reintroduce the topic of rational politics. Rational politics came about as an inspired response to something a friend of mine said related to politics being rational, or irrational as the case may be. I responded to this comment by saying that there is nothing rational about politics, politics is extremely emotional and this is the first rule to success within the field. Politics, it is my opinion makes the world go round and if you have been reading my blog you can see why I would say that. Politics is the art of being able to manipulate emotions, not to be able to minimize or eliminate them. I love politics, and politics love me, in fact politics was my first love...my second love knows who he is, my 3rd love threw me out like a used tissue. My 4th love is lurking somewhere no doubt. You get the general idea. Politics also loves my 2nd love, so it is not a jealous creature, in fact both of us have been served well by our mutual love for politics and vice versa. If politics on the other hand, did not love us we would be in some real trouble. Politics that go bad can make all kinds of trouble for a person. Politics governers all areas of life, it keeps everyone in some kind of line, and these lines are not always rational.

One of my Israeli friends for example, the one who inspired this post is getting ready to do IDF duty. Likes to talk about how irrational the military is. The military doesn't get paid to be rational or to think, the military is paid to be the military and in most cases they do it well. This is true of the so-called Black Water incident as well that has people up in arms. Iraq is a combat zone, there are no "civilians" in a combat zone. History teaches us that, because in Viet Nam there were women with baby carriages blowing up the troops. Clearly civilians do not exist in a combat zone and we can't try to rationalize what Black Water should or should not have done. I for one am glad that I am not the one in the combat zone.

Until next time,
Malcot Israel

2 comments:

NJZimmermann said...

Malcot Israel your post reminded of a quotation by General Robert Edward Lee.

General Lee twice remarked on the terrible nature and consequences of war:

1.What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world.

2. It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it.

I often wonder what he and General Grant would say at current conflict the United States finds itself immersed in at present. Perhaps if the powers that be heeded more carefully the lessons of the past perhaps they could act

NJZimmermann said...

in a more rational manner toward others.