Monday, October 8, 2007

Politics of the Insider

One of my favorite activities is sitting around watching people in coffee shops. This is because you can learn a lot about people, but also about yourself or the world. People at this particular coffee shop sit around and talk about things, including the woman next to me who asked me how I like my Apple laptop. I had yesterday, a woman ask me why it was so much colder inside than outside and how people freak out about the blue laws here. I'd love to just have an office where I travel from coffee shop to coffee shop, that'd be awesome. I rarely visit this coffee shop because it's expensive and I'm just not into spending money with everything happening, maybe it's my political protest.

I'm trying to find ways to get to places where I can be myself and this is a place of intellectualism, I love it for that reason. This reminds me of some of the coffee shops in New York or Paris, or I've heard J-town or T-A. I can't wait to check out those places. This is also like some of the places in London that people meet and hang out. I guess it's a modern day pub of old.

This raises an interesting concept, last post I was talking about the politics of the outsider. What about the politics of the community? The politics of the insider if you will. This is just as dangerous as the politics of the outsider. I am an outsider, but soon enough that will change when I get my new name and my new life officially starts. At that point I will hopefully become an insider in my own life. What sorts of things will this mean? I'm not quite sure yet.

I imagine my life will be normal someday, and I'll have a dog or maybe two, except with the new breed of dog I want one can't have 2. So a dog, and an established life and everything will return to a sense of peace, calm and normalcy. It will be a political switch for me however, as I have had my eyes opened by this experience.

1 comment:

NJZimmermann said...

My friend I would suggest a Samoyed, a Rhodesian Ridgeback, or an Anatolian Shepherd all which have been known to insipre fear and terror upon their enemies.