Saturday, October 13, 2007

The Politics of Hatred

What a topic for a Sabbath afternoon isn't it? I was struck by this last night as I've been examining myself and my own issues. I realized there is an entire political genre of hatred in the world and in the country. Watching the early debates and things related to the presidential election here in the US I was struck by the way hatred is invoked. I have also been struck by the way hatred has been invoked in my own personal life.

Globally speaking hatred is used for all sorts of things, it is used to perpetuate violence against my Jewish brothers in the Middle East, and my Arab brothers there as well, it is used to oppress my sisters in Africa, and my sisters in the Middle East and Asia. It is used to oppress children everywhere, and it is used to oppress men everywhere as well. My brothers really need a men's liberation movement whether they want to admit this or not.

What is it about hate that makes it such a powerful political force? I'm not sure, but I've noticed that this is a common occurrence and one that is quite disturbing. This hatred of the other and this desire to make others less than us. I saw a segment on CNN about the diamond mines and how some people stopped wearing diamonds in solidarity with the people, it seems hatred isn't as powerful as people think it is, but it certainly has quite a grip on the political scene.

I would like to challenge all of my readers to examine themselves and the political scene and destroy hatred wherever you find it. Together we really can make a better world.

No comments: