Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Politics of Jewishness

This is a strange, and I hope interesting post. Especially if you are a Jewish reader. Over the last two weeks I think I have been asked 40 times "Are you Jewish?" What does that question mean exactly? My initial thought is to say "Yes, through my maternal grandfather" this of course is the wrong answer as to the Jews I am not yet one of them. My second initial thought is to reply "I am who I am, are you Jewish?" and this is also the wrong answer because no one wants to answer the question, my final initial thought is to say "Fuck off" I don't usually give any of these answers. Half the time sensing the pulsating and ripe anti-semitism in the questioners tone I say "Yes I am, is there a problem?" and they usually back way down. Last time I was asked this I said "Why is there a test I need to take?" and the person said they were "Just wanting the information" what makes this question so difficult for me is that I have no doubts that Hitler would have killed me had I been alive for his "final solution". To a lot of people I am Jewish. This is inherently political. Being Jewish carries with it a whole political spectrum I had never before realized. I have loved and been loved greatly by many a Jewish man. I have been pulled out of the fires of hell by others, and yet I never really understood what this question means. "Are you Jewish" this could mean are you ethnically Jewish because you look like a Jew, sometimes it is used to ask if I am a Zionist, other times it is used to ascertain my religious beliefs (in this case I reply that I have no religion). Still other times it seems to be used to ascertain a bigger political picture than if I am a Zionist or not. I don't really care about the Zionists honestly, Israel is alive in the hearts of everyone who loves the people and it will continue to live on long after the enemies have died. Long after Iran is the Jewish Republic of Iran Israel will still be standing and the Iranians will be crying.

My grandfather felt decidedly un-Jewish and so I have been alienated until now to my Jewish heritage. I grew up doing the Chanukah parties and Passover seders with friends of mine, I went to I don't know how many Bar Mitzvahs although I have never been to a bat I understand they are all the same. I have always found Hebrew to be a lullaby to me, and this is still true to this day. As I was put to sleep last week after a rough day by my friend speaking Hebrew. I'm not sure that was his intended result, but perhaps it was since he always complains that I am up way too late to call. Is it my fault there are so many time zones between here and there? Not to mention Jewish time is totally different. I wonder about that too, when I am asked "Are you Jewish?" does it mean I was late? Does it mean I run on my own time zone? I mean I do, I am a New Yorker down to the last bone, and I do run on NY time, and if you don't know what that is I am sorry for you.

This is a very interesting and a very political question at its very core. I have decided to in general answer the question affirmatively. After all I have picked out my Jewish name. I have tried to call my other friend multiple times to apologize and to acknowledge when he told me in 1996 that I have a Jewish soul he knew me better than I knew myself. In many respects I am Jewish. This is a journey home for me, I have started it many a year ago and I hope that soon all these things will be right with the world again. I will be Jewish, my life will be back in order, the world will become a safe place etc.

I have always felt safest with Jewish people, anyone who knows me will know this is the truth. I have never done well in an area without many Jews with which to associate. I carry them with me wherever I go. Anywhere I go if Jewish people are there they will find me, and now I can introduce myself with my new name I guess. Maybe not, I'm not sure entirely how that process works. The truth is I am becoming more and more aware that clearly the answer is yes and I welcome that with all the political fallout that comes.

I think we shall make Jewish republics out of Syria and Iran.

Shavua Tov as abba would say, or good week to those of you not on my remedial level of Hebrew.

1 comment:

NJZimmermann said...

Wisdom instructs her children and admonishes those who seek her.
He who loves her loves life; those who seek her out win her favor.
He who holds her fast inherits glory; wherever he dwells, the LORD bestows blessings.
Those who serve her serve the Holy One; those who love her the LORD loves. He who obeys her judges nations; he who hearkens to her dwells in her inmost chambers.
If one trusts her, he will possess her; his descendants too will inherit her.

She walks with him as a stranger, and at first she puts him to the test; Fear and dread she brings upon him and tries him with her discipline; With her precepts she puts him to the proof, until his heart is fully with her. Then she comes back to bring him happiness and reveal her secrets to him.
But if he fails her, she will abandon him and deliver him into the hands of despoilers.


Use your time well; guard yourself from evil, and bring upon yourself no shame. There is a sense of shame laden with guilt, and a shame that merits honor and respect. Show no favoritism to your own discredit; let no one intimidate you to your own downfall. Refrain not from speaking at the proper time, and hide not away your wisdom;
For it is through speech that wisdom becomes known, and knowledge through the tongue's rejoinder. Never gainsay the truth, and struggle not against the rushing stream.
Be not ashamed to acknowledge your guilt, but of your ignorance rather be ashamed. Do not abase yourself before an impious man, nor refuse to do so before rulers. Even to the death fight for truth, and the LORD your God will battle for you.
(Sir. 4:11-28)

My friend you are wise beyond measurehold yourself with honor and dignity and the blessing of the I AM and the spirit of the Shekinah will fill you and you will blessed beyond all, measure and achieve your goals.