Thursday, September 27, 2007

My dear friend in the valley and shadows around here has given me a beautiful welcome letter. I love that, almost as much as I love my new life that is blossoming. My newly found abba tells me that I am turning into a new person and I have to agree. It is largely his influence though, like my beloved he carries me when I can't walk and gives me guidance when I can't find my own voice. He's currently observing yom tov I believe or some such tradition. I am sure that I will hear from him shortly. My beloved has also been out of touch, but I am guessing that has to do with either work constraints or his children, seeing as he's not a religious man (much to my dismay, but perhaps he will change his ways).

My friend in Jerusalem gave me some information today on a conversion program, of course it requires that one be involved with a Jewish community for a year or more before one is accepted. I wonder how I will be able to pull that off seeing as there are no Jewish communities here and I am alone in no man's land. I'll have to ask abba what he thinks about that, I'm sure he'll have some advice. I did email the program and asked them about it as well.
The conservative rabbi here wants to meet with me, and a friend of mine suggested that I become a Reform rabbi...honestly neither appeals. Why do anything half way, and besides the only universally accepted conversions are Orthodox. I suppose I can still move under right of return since that has yet to be destroyed, but sooner or later that too will pass and anyway I can't prove my heritage.

This is a long journey home I am afraid, but I have assurances from everyone abroad that this will work itself out. So, as soon as the quagmire clears I will be safe in the arms of those that would always be there even to the deepest depths of hell. I was chatting with an Israeli friend of mine today who asked when I am moving, he wants to go clubbing. I told him that we will have to make arrangements for that, we're supposed to chat in an hour I think, but who knows if he will be around.

Until next time, my ethical dilema is keeping me awake, and I have yet to sort it out. Perhaps the time for wandering the desert is over and things can move forward. At least I know that I am not alone and I will always be loved.

1 comment:

NJZimmermann said...

My friend

Dr. Emmanuel Lasker the greatest chessplayer of the late nineteenth and early twentieth century once observed that error and brilliancy are intertwined.

Without error there can be no brilliancy.

You have made mistakes un the past but, you are brilliant and wise because, you have acquired knowledge and learned from your errors.

The wisdom you have gained has assured your future brilliance.