Saturday, September 15, 2007

Politics of Peace

As we start a new year, I've had many prosperous things already start to happen to me. I will be away, and probably blogging for training the next few days. I will also be very busy getting accustomed to the tasks required for my new job. That will take a while no doubt, I also got accepted into a school I was looking at examining going to. Where there is death, destruction, and war all over my life right now, there is also a sense of peace. There is a deep sense of peace that is coming over the waters. This brings up an interesting point.

What is peace, how does one get there, and politically speaking what are the ramifications of peace? We are all aware of the political ramifications of patriarchy, I've been ravaged by it recently and perhaps at some point I will discuss that under the topic of sexual politics, but who talks about the politics of peace? I mean really talks about it.

Peace is not just an absence of war, or conflict, or insert some other stupid stuff here. Peace is a state of being, a state of justice, a way of operating that promotes the ways of the world that are positives and helps the world or the peaceful populations along. It is a state of blessing, it is not merely a day without a battle. So many people think that peace is just the absence of a conflict.

We should attempt to bring peace into the world at every opportunity. In doing this we will allow for the world to be a better place, for us to be better people, and for the Kingdom to arrive. It is only through random acts of kindness that the Spirit lives on. If we want to see the return of the people to God and of God to the people, then we must invite God back into the world. Peace after all comes from and returns to God, but it requires us to think a little harder.

The political ramifications of this of course would be that the government could spend more time focusing on things other than defense, the G8 for example could make some real progress on other humanitarian fronts. Drug companies could actually make drugs that help people and get them to the people that need them, without worrying about warlords, and in fact the warlords would be welcoming of the drugs and help hand them out. This is the ramification of putting peace into the universe.

Peace is an interesting political animal, I don't think we've ever seen it enforced, and we may never see it. Who knows what will happen in this new year. May it be peaceful and prosperous for all of us. I have a feeling this is a big year for me.

No comments: