Saturday, August 9, 2008

Political Change?



What does this ad tells us about the current campaign? My dear friend at The Valley said to me a while back he was afraid that we would have a Dole vs Clinton rematch this election. Another wise man in my life said no, this is Dole vs Kennedy. All I can say, is it is Dole vs someone, anyone and this is a strange election on a number of levels.

First of all, studies have shown over and over again that the American public, and specifically the segment of the population that votes, doesn't like negative ads. People of course still run them, because they like to use out of date strategies etc. They also don't know how to run a non-negative campaign and I commend Obama for the way he has conducted his campaign thus far, and for the way he has dealt with this ad, asking if this is the best McCain can do etc. I think this is the better approach and in the end it will bring him more credibility and probably more votes with the public.

This is also a strange campaign because I can't really remember a time in history when people were comparing people to celebrities in the manner that is being done during this current campaign. Aside from the "Gumby guy" from Mass. phenomenon: Dukakis, Kerry, Romney, etc. that is always kind of a strange thing, doesn't that state have non-gumby characters?

Being an internationalist I never really give in depth commentary on elections in the US, but in the absence of my darling I need to make a commentary that he'd be proud of.

This campaign seems to be running the gambit when it comes to new/change and also when it comes to the same old shit different day, and everything in between. For example this McCain ad is both same shit different day, and new. I can't remember the last time these two celebrities were used in an ad can you?

Also, the internet is much more involved in this election than in previous campaigns. Obama has the advantage on this end compared to any of the other candidates. Hopefully, his campaign won't be hurt by the Edwards fiasco. What a waste of time and energy that is.

This campaign is always coming up with ways to make my stomach turn, and I am a political scientist.

No comments: