Friday, August 29, 2008

Alaska...

Alaska and it's 3 electoral college votes are now center stage. I'm not really sure how to take that in light of the electrifying Democratic convention. Even I have to concede I was fascinated with the convention, and I am a Libertarian, and don't even consider myself to be a democrat (odd contradiction I know). Like probably 99% of the other people watching the political scene I figured that McCain would ask Joe Lieberman to run with him, and maybe he did and Joe refused, who knows? I'm not sure I'd run with McCain either were I in the position of Joe Lieberman. Neither here nor there I suppose, we will never know how Sarah Palin was the one picked for the ticket. It does seem bizarre though to pick someone from Alaska, I mean 3 electoral votes isn't much, and she's so unknown I doubt she can help with a lot of things like independent voters etc. Course, I am an internationalist, and I thank God every day that I am an internationalist and I don't need to worry about these pesky domestic political issues.

I think the choice of Sarah Palin is an interesting choice, and I am rather intrigued by this choice for a number of reasons. First, I am intrigued because true to form the Feminist backlash has begun. I find it intriguing that the same women that wanted to have Hillary Clinton in the White house (I am still confused, someone please tell me what qualified Hillary for the presidency? Oh right she was married to the president...hmmmm...I am so not buying that snake oil.) are insulted by the choice of Palin. What's wrong with the choice of Palin? She seems like a decent person to me, I mean the whole thing is bizarre because she isn't on the same name recognition level with Mit Romney, but then again plenty of people would fit that bill. Palin helps to score McCain points with the Republican base that he is having so much trouble keeping up with. It also makes him look really good to the public, because now he too can talk about making history, especially if by some weird twist of fate he manages to pull out a victory (I'm not going to hold my breath and expect that to happen).

Palin, I think also causes another interesting twist. Palin forces women to look at their motivations for voting. I think this is a fundamental problem with US politics. The feminists are always about electing women, but only THEIR own women. A woman like myself, or like Elizabeth Dole is frowned upon by the "feminists" and now we have women saying it is insulting that Palin was chosen. Women are 51% of the population, does it really matter how insulting it is? Some women will vote for McCain and some will vote for Obama it is just the way it is. When you are more than half the population you're going to vote in different ways. Course men don't vote uniformly either, and if they did I have had a number of men tell me how Palin is really good looking and they hope she becomes V.P. So clearly we know how that'd turn out. This brings up another point, are these women insulted because she is a beautiful woman? What if she were ugly would it matter so much? Just like would Obama be a rock star if he were White?

Another interesting thing about this choice is that it's ALASKA. I mean how many Americans can find Alaska on the map? I doubt many people outside of Alaska really know where it is. I applied for a few jobs up in Alaska, I thought it might be fun to live there, and they have a shortage of women up there, and a large Russian influence. Alaska is now important for the first time in the history of this country. I mean sure it is important for all the resources we robbed the Russians of when we bought it, but it's also now important because it is now the home state of a possible V.P. of the U.S. and for the first time ever. I can't recall one president of vice president that was from Alaska, can you? I wonder what it must feel like for the Alaskans right now, I've been trying to get in contact with a few Alaskans I know, but haven't gotten through to them.

I think it's both brilliant and risky to choose Palin, and even though I will most likely not vote for McCain, because I plan to vote Libertarian. I think it will be interesting to see what this roll of the dice brings not only to McCain's campaign but to elections and politics in the future as well. This election has been a historical one for sure, and with the exception of my thoughts on Lieberman I have been right in all my analysis of it. Oh and by the way the 88th anniversary of women getting the right to vote that the Democrats were carrying on about, that was under a Republican Congress...so I guess the Dems can't say they are the progressive party on that end of things.

I'd like to thank McCain for the choice of Palin, I find it to be an interesting one and as I said I am fascinated by it for a lot of reasons. I'd like to thank Gov. Palin for accepting the nomination, I think it was courageous on her part and I also think it'll make things a lot more interesting.

May the best ticket win, let the games begin!

1 comment:

Christopher said...

I agree with your comments about McCains choice of Palin, but I do not think it was solely her being a woman that she was picked for. McCain will need her to stand up to Washington to stop pork-barrell spending and Palin has a good record of that in Alaska.

Palin being a woman is a factor but she is not the everyday woman, a former beauty queen that goes onto to be Governor then VP canidate, Palin is successful in her own right (not following in the footsteps of her husband - Hillary) and Palin does all this while raising 5 children.

If anything women should be praising Palin for living the dream, instead the Liberals are tearing her apart for her motherhood - not her political record.

The real agenda behind the Democratic party is there for everyone to see...and I also like the part you wrote about only feminists want themselves to win, all other women are traitors. Exactly my thoughts also because it's true.

I don't agree with the part about the USA stealing resources from Russia, if you buy something from someone else and you transform it into a profit yourself, you don't owe the previous owner anything.