Saturday, April 12, 2008

Death of an Icon

My dear friends,
I have recently been informed of a terrible event in my life. One of my best friends from college has died. He was a great man, from a long line of great men. When we would sit and talk he would really focus on what I was saying, and then he even took my advice on his career choice. At the time of his death he was First Secretary of the Embassy of South Africa to Sudan. He died while visiting London of Cerebral Malaria, and was the tender age of 41. What makes him unique is that despite his being Walter Sisulu's grandson he was very down to earth. In fact, I always imagined that if I had met his grandfather they'd be very much alike. He was soft-spoken and I think had potential to do a lot of great work for his country and the world. I am honored to have nurtured and encouraged him to become the man I am sure he was before his death, and I am sure we will all feel a void and miss him in the future. Already the world seems like a darker place. I know though that he is now with his grandfather and perhaps they will both look over me.

1 comment:

NJZimmermann said...

Did your friend leave any heirs to whom he could have passed on his great heritage and profound wisdom?