Monday, May 19, 2008

What a strange time we live in, or maybe it's just that I live in a very strange time. I find myself with an abundance of things to say and no words to say them with, or ways to really flesh out what I'd like to say. So, I will post about what I feel I am able to discuss intelligently. Namely, my dear friend Chess Novice's allegations regarding spoiling my enjoyment of films. First of all the idea of him as a Chess Novice is really insane because he's been playing chess longer than I remember knowing him, and that's quite a long time ago now.

First of all, it is correct to assert that I have an unequivocal aversion to having my enjoyment of films spoiled. However, it is not so easily done. Your summary was of things and contexts that didn't really affect me regarding this film, and perhaps it is because you don't know of my love for this particular story.

I have had an ongoing love affair with this particular book chronicle for quite some time. All seven have a special place in my heart, and I do so hope they will make all 7 of them into movies, but this particular one has long been my favorite. I can't really explain why, in fact until I saw the movie I had no idea why and now I do have some idea.

First of all, the story of this chronicle is perhaps on of the most action packed of them all, and I really enjoyed the way it was envisioned by the film makers. Moreover, the themes in this chronicle are outlined very nicely by my friend, and so it is not the themes that I find so fascinating.

What I find fascinating is the actual content of the movie. "You're not lost, you're going the wrong way" there's something very interesting in that quote that I can't quite put my finger on here, I know what it is but to explain it would require too much energy and I am getting lazy in my old age.

Also, it's interesting that throughout my childhood I was constantly corrected about my feelings regarding Aslan. I always assumed Aslan was God, yet I was constantly told that everything was a Christian allegory and that Aslan was Christ. Interesting, maybe it is my transition out of Christianity, but when the sea swallowed up the Talmarines it reminded me more of Passover than anything Jesus ever did. Maybe I just don't understand the deep hidden Christian meaning the Lewis was going for in the book?

Many of these things strike me as interesting, but I'd rather not continue down this path. I have some political commentaries to make and perhaps I will do that later but at the present I just don't have the energy to deal with anyone or anything.

RAF

1 comment:

NJZimmermann said...

RAF I would assert you are a cross between Trufflehunter the wise, Susan the thoughtful one and Trumpkin the grumpy contrarian